30.1.12

Mad Scientist Monday #18: Old Candy, Old Commercial

Day 253:   You don't have to be 'old' to remember this commercial because they are still playing it today which boggles my mind, in a good way.  Every Spring and Summer I remember this commercial and the Tootsie Roll song.  Crazy owl took that kids lollypop and then ate it, nefarious plot that is, sheer candy taking evil.  Makes me wonder why in the world of stranger danger 70s a kid would give their lolly to a talking owl in the first place?  You can find out more about the Tootsie Roll company and even a study on How Many Licks Does It Take? on their website.  Kind of an awesome history to this company that has been around since 1896.  I had to close the site it was making me drool, so much of my childhood was wrapped up (literally) in their candy.  Weren't they the ones that had comics in their bubble gum? or maybe that was Hubba Bubba?




Ok my project for today is so simple, really like most of my projects, it just takes a few minutes and supplies you probably have around the house.   Here in New Mexico we don't get much weather, it is pretty beautiful, sunny, bright blue skies nearly every day of the year.  Not that I am complaining.  But where I live is primarily a desert not many trees, grass, bushes or green things growing up here.  Our State colors are brown and sage green.  Again not that I am complaining.  It  makes the days when it rains or snows that much more special because it changes the landscape.

To combat the days that are endlessly sunny I try to change up the holiday decos and put little scenic areas around the house.  This weekend we got out the Easter decorations to go through, repair and put up.  Most of you probably have a box of these right?  I go through them every year, matching and recycling.

This year we had the bonus of several of the eggs still containing conversation hearts BONUS, oh yes I did and they were delicious, I mean really they have a shelf life of like 50 years right?!

A few years ago I got tired of putting them in storage and having them breed in the dark until the next holiday.  I also had this old grape vine wreath that had seen better days of Christmas.  And an idea was born.

1.  I stripped the wreath of any Yuletide greenery.

2.  I took out my trusty glue gun, we shall call it Clem.

3.  Put the bucket of leftover plastic eggs next to me.

4.  Grabbed any tatty Easter decos that were doomed to garbage or recycling.

5. Warm up Clem and start gluing. Just be spontaneous.  Put as much or as few decos on the wreath as you want.  Don't worry about glue strands, just take those off after they are dry.  And don't worry about glue blobs you can't see them when it is hanging up, unless you look close, and you can always cover it up with another misfit Easter deco, or ribbon, be creative!


I get the wreath out and repair it every year, adding or subtracting as I feel necessary.  I try to repair and update my wreaths every year.  I think this is it's 8th holiday.   I love the newer, brighter colored eggs.  In fact now that I see it up I may add some more today, bare spots are bugging.  I was wrestling a curious kitten away from hot glue so I was rushing, he is in overtired mode right now and I am hoping nap time is soon so I can get Clem back out.


This could be even more adorable in so many ways: same colored eggs, sparkly eggs, jeweled eggs, decorated eggs.

What will you create today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Page Tracker

Pagerank

Labels

Sewing (135) Girls (90) family (87) Inspiration (78) Holiday (48) Nature (41) Backyard (38) vintage sewing (38) thrifting (36) hand sewing (35) Taichi Tabananica (33) cats (30) recycle sewing (27) Mad Scientist Monday (24) music is art (23) hand embroidery (22) 365 Challenge (20) embroidery (20) Memory Lapse (19) Scenes from my Sketchbook (19) Silence will Fall (19) homeschooling (19) Touch My Stitches (17) art (14) Cooking (12) Scrapbusting (12) 80s (11) costumes (11) fabric collage (11) S#*ts and Giggles (10) Tshirt Blanket (10) vintage fabric (10) altered book (9) Covered in Stitches Contest (8) Flashback Creations (8) a good book (8) contest (8) crafting (8) flowers (8) sketching (8) Halloween (7) Sunday Best (7) Tshirt Pillow (7) beads and stones (7) books (7) Japan (6) Touch Me Thursday (6) business is an art (6) buttons (6) clothes (6) snow (6) Friends (5) Momtastic's Whimsey (5) New Mexico (5) Whimseybox (5) christmas (5) colorful blankets (5) cosplay (5) fabric (5) Albuquerque (4) Classes (4) Copic (4) Momtasterrific Craftery nights (4) needlepoint (4) painting (4) pillows (4) sewing machines (4) stuffie (4) vintage goodies (4) vintage patterns (4) aprons (3) crafting for a cause (3) doctor who (3) felt creations (3) movies (3) paper collage (3) woodland friends II (3) Acts of Kindness (2) Aki Matsuri (2) Artfire (2) Comic Con (2) Creative Lair (2) Easter (2) HB Happy Stacker (2) Mediterranean Viewscape (2) Memory Gifts (2) Memory Pillows (2) Space (2) Summer (2) UrbanThreads (2) Video Games (2) antiques (2) birthday (2) crafting event (2) dog costume (2) feltie (2) kid art (2) memory blankets (2) ornaments (2) recycling (2) roses (2) scarves (2) sculpture (2) upcycling (2) working on (2) 1 million pillowcase challenge (1) 10% (1) 70s (1) 8mm (1) ATC (1) Chinese Calligraphy (1) Craft and Cake (1) Give Back (1) Giveaway (1) Haunted House (1) Home Renovations (1) IHSW (1) Int'l Hermit and Stitch Weekend (1) Kiva (1) Lovelight (1) Monkeys (1) Mother's Day (1) Operation Castle Redo (1) Pens and Markers (1) Scotland (1) Spongebob Squarepants (1) Tabjuice (1) anime (1) architecture (1) bags (1) batik (1) colcha (1) collaboration (1) craft night (1) crocheting (1) curtains (1) decorating (1) doodle (1) forest fire (1) hair (1) jewelry (1) kid pranks (1) knick knacks (1) linens (1) manga (1) masks (1) monsters (1) nerd goodness (1) pokemon (1) printing (1) raven (1) repairs (1) ribbon (1) shells (1) snaps (1) solstice (1) star trek (1) steampunk (1) stockings (1) thread (1) vampires (1) weaving (1) website (1)